You only live once; but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
Want to live your best life? Most people usually try to make changes in their life at the start of the new year.
One of the time-honored traditions is to create new resolutions for a new year. Sadly, it’s also tradition to break one’s new year’s resolutions in a matter of a few days, weeks or months.
Although a new year is often viewed as the ideal time to have a new beginning, you can make simple changes that can transform your life any time of the year.
You can create your vision for living your best life. Start now!
Do you want to stop smoking, lose weight, overcome substance abuse, spend less, make more money, decrease your stress, increase your happiness or make other changes to have a better quality of life? Your changes will have little chance of success if you don’t have a good strategy to achieve them.
If you want to make lasting changes in your life, what can you do?
Instead of just creating new year’s resolutions or any other attempts to change, create a vision for your life. Similar to a company’s mission statement, your life’s vision is your personal mission statement for your life’s purpose. It should guide your actions, goals and decision-making about living your best life.
The choices you make in your life can make a huge difference in your health and happiness. Poor choices can lead to illness, disability and misery – they can also shorten your life. Good choices can increase your happiness, improve your health and help you live longer.
Do you have a vision for personal success in life as well as your health and happiness? If not, you may be doomed to fail.
If you do not have a vision for your best life, it’s hard to determine if you’re on track or not. If you do not have a vision for your best life, it’s like trying to go somewhere without a destination. It’s going to be impossible to tell when you get “there” or if you’re even going in the right direction.
It’s shocking that most people have goals for success in their career, but many do not really think about their goals for personal success in life… for their health and happiness … for living their best life.
8 Tips On How to Create a Vision for Living Your Best Life: Enjoy Lasting Changes for Your Health and Happiness
1. Increasing your happiness can improve your health. Happiness and other positive emotions have surprisingly powerful health benefits. They appear to make the immune system function better and provide a protective effect against some diseases. They appear to decrease the risk or limit the severity of diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases as well as colds and upper-respiratory infections.
2. Improving your social wellness can improve your health, happiness and life satisfaction. The most fundamental finding from studies on happiness is that being with other people makes people happy. The “need to belong” is important in life satisfaction.
Loving and supportive relationships as well as other meaningful social interactions can have significant effects on health and wellness.
Social wellness is about having satisfactory inter-personal relationships and positive interactions with others. It involves learning social skills to develop a good support system and deep, meaningful relationships. Having good communication and listening skills, practicing empathy and compassion as well as caring for others can lead to more satisfying and meaningful relationships. In turn, this can promote better health and wellness as well as happiness and life satisfaction.
3. Improving your spiritual health can improve your health, happiness and life satisfaction. Random acts of kindness, volunteering and other forms of altruism can have powerful health and personal benefits.
Helping others can boost your spiritual health. It can help improve your immune system, reduce pain, lower high blood pressure and reduce stress. It can help you connect with the very best part of yourself as well as increase your sense of connectedness with your family, friends and other people in the community. It can give you a greater sense of well-being, personal significance and fulfillment in your life.
4. Quality time management can help create more time for what matters most. The problem is that most people are busy and time-starved. They do not prioritize their time appropriately. Instead of spending quality time, they often focus on prioritizing tasks based on productivity or achievement.
How can you tell when you’re spending quality time? If you’re spending your time in such a way that it maximizes your happiness and personal satisfaction, you’re spending quality time. For example, spending quality time with your loved ones may involve doing things that make them happy. This can bring you closer and also bring you more happiness.
If you’re not spending quality time with what matters most to you — even if you accomplish a lot of things, you can lose something far more valuable — you can lose your zest for life.
5. Reduce your stress and avoid stress-associated health problems. Some sources of stress are unavoidable. Enjoying regular exercise, yoga, meditation, laughter, dancing, recreation and relaxation can help reduce your stress. Stress management can boost effectiveness of weight control as well as boost your health.
6. Smart money management can reduce stress and improve your health. Money doesn’t really bring happiness, but money issues can lead to a lot of financial stress. Money-related stress can lead to stress-associated health problems.
Living within your means can help minimize your debt and reduce financial stress. If you have serious money issues, you can get help from reputable debt management counselors to resolve them. Getting out of debt can take time, but the stress-reducing rewards can be great.
7. Discover and nurture your true gifts. Neglecting to nurture your special gifts can be soul-depleting and harmful to your health and happiness. Do you love to write, sing or dance? Take action and pursue your passion. By expressing, experiencing and enjoying your special gifts, you can celebrate who you are. You can find more meaning, bring more passion and happiness into your life.
8. Having meaningful and enjoyable work — whether it is paid or unpaid activity — can contribute to your life satisfaction. Being fully engaged in meaningful activity can be so gratifying that some people are willing to do it for it’s own sake instead of what they will get out of it. The activity is it’s own reward. If your job does not give you enough satisfaction, doing some volunteer work might give your life more meaning and sense of purpose. This can boost your happiness and health.
In today’s stressful world, people are often busy and time-starved. There are so many things competing for your time and attention. In the midst of all the chaos, it’s easy to lose sight of what really matters. It’s easy to neglect your health and happiness.
Living your best life requires clarification of your values. You need to understand what matters most to you… you need to follow your heart.
How do you follow your heart when you can’t even hear it?
One way to boost your happiness is to cut activities that waste your time and focus on what matters most. Does it really make you happy to spend a lot of time watching television or surfing the Internet? If not, spend your time on what really feeds your heart and soul. For most people, spending enough quality time with people that matters most leads to greater happiness and life satisfaction.
What makes you happy? By understanding what makes you truly happy, you can create more purposeful ways to boost your happiness and health.
Imagine yourself living your best life. Are you effectively managing your stress? Are you happy spending quality time with your family and friends? Are you happy pursuing your passion? Are you happy doing work you love? Do you have serenity and inner peace in your life?
Happiness, contentment and other positive emotions have powerful health benefits. In addition, the motivating effects of happiness can help you develop lasting health-promoting habits.
What do you need to do to live your best life? Do you need to exercise more, lose weight, get out of debt, get a better job or education?
Take the time to create a vision for living your best life. Instead of just creating resolutions when the new year starts — resolutions which most people end up breaking — you can have a personal mission statement for your life’s purpose.
Your vision for your life can help guide your actions, goals and decision-making about living your best life. Instead of trying and failing repeatedly, you can overcome barriers that keep you from having a better quality of life. You can achieve your goals and live a happier, healthier and richer, more satisfying life.